Share this

Monday, January 14, 2013

Pet Adoption…..It’s Ridiculously Hard…..I’m Just Sayin

Taiwanese pet adoption video goes viral.

It's kinda funny that I came across this video of a supposed magician from Taiwan making a kitten appear from thin air.



I find it funny because I saw (and read) a post on my facebook page yesterday about pet adoption, and why the powers that be make it so hard to actually adopt a pet.  Here is the headline that caught my eye:
"If you have tried to adopt a dog, you know what I'm talking about. Dog Rescues - so many in-depth, personal questions; just to adopt a dog! For goodness sake - do they really need all of that information?
After all - aren't these homeless dogs? Wouldn't any owner be better than being a dog, lamenting in rescue? Than being homeless??"
Being a pet lover myself, I read the article. You can read it here. As much as I agree with the concept for these stringent regulations on pet adoption, I came away feeling a bit offended. I'm offended because of my experience with one of these pet adoption agencies.

Who is a qualified pet owner?

Turns out it wasn't my family. Shortly after our dog, Goldie was put to sleep because her precious body was riddled with tumors, and her hips had completely given out, we decided to go "pet hunting" .

Was a Pet Adoption Agency what we were looking for?

We thought so. At the time our family was comprised of my wife and I, three children, ages 16, 9 and 4. We own a home, with a nice fenced in back yard in the suburbs of Central NJ. We grieved for our family member who gave us unconditional love and beautiful memories, and after about a month we decided to venture out and find a new puppy to make our family complete again.
We took our time in this process, because rushing into a decision just to replace that hole in our hearts usually makes for a bad decision. We went to our local animal shelter, but there were no puppies there. Just a couple of older guys, who I figured already had Owners, and just got lost. So our search continued....

We saw an ad for "Pet Adoption Day" at a local big name pet supply chain.

This was it! This was our chance to be dog owners again! So, we went. Upon arrival at the store we were excited to see so many puppies running around in the makeshift pen. We were approached by one of the pet adoption workers, and she introduced us to a beautiful little retriever. She was soooo friendly, and playful, and we all fell in love with her(the puppy......the puppy). We told the woman in charge that we would love to take this puppy into our home and make her part of our family. I thought we were going home with this cute little girl, but the woman said we needed to fill out an acceptance application??? We did, and were told that someone would contact us in a few days.

Our Pet Adoption was not to be had.

We were told that since we had a 4 year old in the household that we did NOT qualify to adopt this puppy, and that a four year old may abuse the dog?. WTH!! Was this some sort of twisted joke? After all we WERE pet owners before.....many times!  But her word was final, and we were devastated to say the least.
It ended up that we did in fact get a puppy, a beautiful yellow lab. But not from any kind of pet adoption agency, it was from a breeder. The breeder did not make us fill out anything, and he didn't care how many children we had or their ages. As long as I had the $600.00 I was qualified.In closing..........

Pet adoption agencies need to lighten up a bit.

Wouldn't it had been better for our family to be able to take advantage of the pet adoption process as opposed to purchasing one??!! I think so. Yes, I'm sure there are people who shouldn't own a pet, there are a couple of them right here in my neighborhood. But the rules are just a bit ridiculous.....I'm just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment